Sunday, January 24, 2010

Cloud Forest



This Mixology Monday is hosted by Frederic of CocktailVirgin, and features a classic punch ingredient, tea, so I'm offering up a tiki-style punch. (Thanks, Frederic. I love punch. I'm a little punchy on a Monday anyway, and that dose of caffeine should make me even punchier.) Tea imparts roundness and structure to punches, and brings other flavors together. Here I've used Russian Caravan, a smoky blend of Chinese teas with wood notes to balance and compliment the richness of mango and the bright acidity of citrus.

Cloud Forest

1 1/2 oz amber Martinique rum
1 oz dark Jamaica rum
1/2 oz Domaine de Canton
3 oz mango nectar (Looza)
1 oz orange juice
3/4 oz lime juice
1 1/2 oz Russian Caravan tea
2 dashes Angostura bitters

Stir with small ice cubes or cracked ice, and pour into a tiki mug or double old-fashioned and decorate with fruit to punch it up.

By Rowen, Fogged In Lounge

5 comments:

  1. Rum appears to be the "It" liquor of 2010. I have you to thank, for introducing me to rum shrubs. This concoction you've now posted will contribute to my next round of rum education: Tiki masterpieces! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your Mixology Monday entry and what a way to kick off your blog! Another smokey tea (besides Lapsang)? I'll have check that one out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Frederic. I knew Russian Caravan for a long time but only found out when I was working on this drink that it actually has a little Lapsang in it. So it's only moderately smoky, which was what I was going for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This drink looks great! Your use of a proper tiki mug and fairly elaborate garnish has already impressed me. I look forward to keeping up with your blog. Check mine out, if you get a chance. I did some fun stuff with a fruity herbal tea for MxMo. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.