Thursday, March 3, 2011

Bronxathon: The Income Tax Cocktail

The Bronx Cocktail is one of those drinks that seems unfocused to me without bitters—so much so that it’s odd to me that there’s a bitters version with its own name. The recipe below comes by way of Dr. Cocktail. No clue why they named it something so dreadful unless it was the favorite of tax preparers.



The Income Tax Cocktail
  • 1 1/2 oz dry gin (Tanqueray)
  • 3/4 oz dry vermouth (Dolin dry)
  • 3/4 oz sweet vermouth (Punt e Mes)
  • juice of 1/4 orange (about 3/4 oz)
  • 2 dashes Angostura Bitters (Fee Bros Old Fashioned Aromatic Bitters)
Shake in an iced shaker (I stirred) and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange wheel.
SOURCE: TED HAIGH, A.K.A. DR. COCKTAIL, VINTAGE SPIRITS AND FORGOTTEN COCKTAILS

This version is one of my favorites and I make it from time to time, using Punt e Mes for the sweet vermouth and Fee’s instead of Angostura. But maybe one dash of bitters is ample. My orange on this round was a little insipid as Valencias go but the drink didn’t suffer too badly. I prefer to strain the orange juice for visual reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.