Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Norway by Way of Portland: Two Krogstad Cocktails

I wish more choices in aquavit were available locally in San Francisco but I’m happy to enjoy Krogstad. It works in places where I’d reach for gin, but Krogstad is earthier, a thing of pleasant malty bitterness like horehound candy. I particularly like the star anise.

cocktail

Lagoon of the Moon
  • 1 1/2 oz aquavit (Krogstad)
  • 3/4 oz Meyer lemon juice
  • 3/4 oz Cointreau
  • 1 dash absinthe
Shake with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
ROWEN, FOGGED IN LOUNGE

Since I had the Krogstad out, I thought I’d try an aquavit Negroni. You see various iterations of this idea on the web with the bitter component substituted. Mr. Lauer over at Tempered Spirits has a nice looking one, the Norwegian Sunset.

Anyway, here goes a basic solution.

cocktail

Aquavit Negroni
  • 1 1/2 oz aquavit (Krogstad)
  • 1 1/2 oz Campari
  • 1 1/2 sweet vermouth
Stir with ice and strain into an old fashioned. Fresh ice cubes to fill. Orange twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.